Saturday, March 3, 2018

CrAzYtOwN


Ryan Scott Oliver's 35mm: A musical exhibition is based on a series of photographs taken by Mathew Murphy. It's gained some popularity in the off-broadway pop-rock musical theatre world. I first found out about RSO's works when a couple of my friends in theatre asked me to be a part of their large group musical piece they were bringing to FL Thespian festivals. The piece was The Ballad of Sara Berry from 35mm. Being the lead vocalist of this song was definitely a killer introduction to this soundtrack-it's crazy beautiful.

When our troupe performed The Ballad of Sara Berry, we shed a lot of light on RSO's works in the SFL theatre community. We won critic's choice, and people still recognize me a thespian events as that "tiny girl who sang about the crazy prom queen!!". The emotional attachment I have to 35mm lingers on; the soundtrack has been an intimate part of my life for a couple years now. Whether my friends and I are blasting 35mm in the car, or we're reminiscing over the creative friendships we've made bonding over The Ballad of Sara Berry, this soundtrack is prominent in a lot of my high school theatre memories. I've seen the show staged at American Heritage (I won't lie, I was super jealous they got to do the entire show because I would kill to do it!!!) and it made me miss collaborating with some of my peers from our large group musical. While all the beautifully talented people I got the pleasure of working with are at college now, (waa waaa aaaa) I still have some close friends in theatre at school with me now who have a shared love for "35mm". I'lll always miss working with my peeps from The Ballad of Sara Berry, like Michael Valladares and Magali Trench, but I know some of my friends here would love to do anything involving RSO, so a couple of them will be involved in this project! 

Again, RSO's works are super close to my heart and they kind of started my serious high school theatre career. I don't know when else I'll be able to get a "hands on" experience on "35mm"...taking on "Crazytown" through the expressions of the hands seems like a great closing on my high school career.

No comments:

Post a Comment