Sunday, March 4, 2018

How do I marry a dead man???


Bob Fosse. A legend. (I'll give context to this). As I stated in my first blog post, I do musical theatre. I am also a member of the "South Florida Cappies", a group of high school theatre critics who get to see high school productions for free, and in return, write constructive reviews for the casts and crews of the shows they see! We also get free food. It's usually pasta and that makes me happy. Aaaaaanyways, this weekend I cappie'd (yes I just devised a new word) Sweet Charity at Boca Raton Community High School. While I 'm not allowed to disclose any of my personal thoughts of the performance, I will say the 45 minute drive and the discussion full of VERY opinionated theatre kids in one room was worth the exposure to Bob Fosse's ingenious choreography.

My fellow Cappies and I got a little obsessed with this dude's craft; we've been sending each other videos of the original performances of Sweet Charity and anything Bob Fosse related. We've also been constantly walking around with our backs arched and our legs excessively stretched out (a typical Fosse move, check out the video down below!). Fosse's choreography is unlike anything I've seen before. The man is an actual genius-he's won eight Tony Awards for choreography, and he is the only person who ever has. I think I love him but he's dead, so I guess I'll just have to wait to marry him when I reach the Egyptian afterlife, that is if my body is mummified correctly. His style is so definitive; Fosse believes in expression with the ENTIRE BODY. He was very passionate about his views. When people would complain about being tired at rehearsals he would fire them on the spot. But the reason I'm writing about Fosse in this blog post is because of his great attention to the hands. Fosse would hold eight hour rehearsals that were devoted to only hand movement. It's a bit hard to explain, and honestly, words just don't do this man's work any justice...Here's a clip of the 1969 movie version of Sweet Charity. The song is called "Rich Man's Frug". The girl with the long ponytail uses her hands a bit more stylistically than everyone else. I think if I ever saw this done professionally on stage I'd explode into confetti. How funny that I get random inspiration exactly when I need it-I know you're dead, but thank you Bob Fosse!



“Bob Fosse.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 3 Mar. 2018, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Fosse.

No comments:

Post a Comment