Monday, March 19, 2018

Googly eyes and magazine cut-outs...an interesting take on scrapbooking? Think again!


William de Kooning's Woman, I displays a ferocious woman with great fierce teeth and huge eyes. Historically, her large bulbous breasts are a satire on women who appear in magazine advertising; her smile is said to be influenced by an ad of a woman selling camel cigarettes. The artwork is influenced by everything from Paleolithic goddesses to pin-up girls. I first discovered the artwork in my AP Art History class, taught by one of my favorite teachers, Mrs. Marfisi. The "character" or rather, subject matter, depicted in the artwork inspires one of the supporting roles in my final project. Barron's AP Art History Textbook says the "jagged lines create an overpowering image"; while my actors' hands won't necessarily painted on, I imagine them to have the same effect as these jagged lines.

To go further on how the characters in my film opening will be depicted, I plan to use glue dots to attach googly eyes of all colors and sizes on the hands of my actors. All the supporting hands will have the same look, meaning they will have the same general color scheme so that the main character will stand out from his peers. In Woman, I the smile is cut out of a female smile from a magazine advertisement. Taking some more inspiration from this piece, I might cut out actual mouths from magazines and use glue dots to attach them to the hands of my supporting characters. The significance of using magazine cut-outs for the mouths of the supporting characters symbolizes that these characters aren't really real, but just figments of the main character's imagination. This will also help to distinguish the main character from the supporting characters, as he will appear more real. For the main character's mouth I'm thinking of putting lipstick on and kissing Gianni's hands so that my top lip would imprint on the outside of his pointer finger and my bottom lip would imprint on the outside of his thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment