Tuesday, March 27, 2018

I like feeling like a corpse sometimes?

Today I started doing yoga again and I'm making it a personal goal to take a yoga class every day! Thanks for the hookup, Groupon. I've realized that yoga has a couple similarities with my vision for "CrazyTown".

Yoga is an immense mental challenge. While yoga is incredibly physically demanding, marking each pose is done through self-confidence mental strength, specifically the inbred determination to become a better, more substantial version of yourself. This valued importance of the mind's power is evident in a different way in the lyrics of "CrazyTown" and the characterization of the narrator/lead character. The lead male opens the song with the words, "There's a hole inside my brain". These lyrics show us that this character is obviously severely lacking in mental health. Because yoga pushes me to create a healthier, more progressive mindset for myself, the lead male's mental state grows as even more of a concern as I continue to analyze the lyrics deeper. I feel like I'm getting more in touch with myself and genuinely growing as a person the more I do yoga, so every time I listen to "CrazyTown", I use the song as a reminder of what could happen if I go off the right tracks, and urge myself to keep practicing yoga as well as strengthening my mental responses in everyday life as well. One thing I hope my audience takes from my final project is to always keep tending to their mental needs to avoid living in a world where they "nearly drown in Crazy Town". Sometimes all we need is to take the corpse pose, or Shavasana, and just lay with our bodies pressed to the ground, intertwining our souls to the roots of the earth, and facing our palms to the sky to release any negative energy and take in the universe's good energy.

Another aspect of yoga that applies to my final project is the great attention to the detail of the body. Poses might look easy on the outside but each pose targets specific areas of the body and stretches them to their potential and beyond. A particular move that relates to metacarpal stimulation is what my yoga teacher refers to as the "three-way pass". This move involves the feet to be propped up with toes to the ground. The outsides of the one of your hands pushes up against the side breasts under the armpit and the elbow of that arm extends forward as much as possible. The other hand grabs onto the outside of the extending elbow to push the flexed arm even straighter which pulls on the inner hand muscles. This distinctive concentration on the hands is similar to Bob Fosse's very intricate hand movements, and has given me inspiration for certain movements I want my actors to partake in! Little things like these excite me even more to start bringing my vision to life and start filming soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment